Bing: You better be really, really awesome.
[Disclaimer: We are Google Snobs! You know, the type of people that schedule weekly time to play in the Google labs. We’ve got Gmail, iGoogle Home pages to show us our Google Reader, and Google News. We heart Picasa. We subscribe to a million Google Alerts, search Google Blogs, Use Google Docs. Somewhere in the deep recesses of Pam’s mind she knows that Google is really Big Brother and will some day bring us the Google Implanted Microchip that will eventually Google Incarcerate or Google Execute her, but in the meantime, we LOVE IT! Thinking about it further, we would probably buy Google Peanut Butter.]
So Microsoft is Launching “Bing”, a search engine competitor to google. Adam and Pam got togther and came up with a list for Microsoft if they want to win us over. Here is our top 5 list of what “Bing” should do:
1. Pay us – Maybe then will we remember to change our vocabulary? Google doesn’t want us to “Google it” but Bing was designed for us to “Bing it”. If our wallet/pocket book is getting fatter then we might Bing that. Sure they sort of thought of this already with Bing Cashback – but that’s only if we’re already planning to buy something. We are looking for one step better than Adsense.
2. Voice Activation – What would be better than a search engine we could reason with. If we could talk to Bing and it it would follow our commands – this would be impressive
3. KISS – We hear that Bing is planning to offer us some sort of relevant pretty picture on a daily basis and I ask – is this pretty picture going to enhance my searching experience? Is the pretty picture going to contribute more relevant results? Then I don’t want it.
4. PDF to HTML – What do you hate more than when searching brings you to a PDF. Let’s just convert it to something faster and less sucky.
5. Tabbed search results – Google sort of does this already, but it can certainly be improved upon. We’d like to see Search Results, News Results, Local Results, Video / Audio Results, Social Network Results, Blog Results, Image Results, Map Results, Reviews, Similar Pages . . . I could probably keep going.
What do you need in a search engine…